Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fox News: Katherine Kummer

While I was perusing through the Fox News data base of videos on the topic of same sex marriage, I was somewhat surprised that the videos I viewed were not as biased on this particular topic as I had originally assumed they would be. One story that I found was not so much interesting as it was framed to be: the answer Miss California gave to Perez Hilton regarding whether or not other states should follow suit in making same sex marriage legal. Although Miss California wasn’t exactly articulate in her answer, she gave her personal opinion, which of course everyone is entitled to, and was later slammed for it by Hilton on this video blog later that evening. Regardless of who was right and who was wrong, because in all honesty we all know beauty contestants aren’t exactly valued for their intelligence, I was very interested on how Fox News portrayed the story.


The first video I saw was hosted by Greta Van Susteren where Carrie Prejean was being interviewed. I found it interesting how the video clips they showed from the pageant depicted Prejean as a smiling, vibrant young women. When she was speaking outside of the pageant, the video was altered to shine a golden light on her face to make her seem like some sort of hero defending her beliefs. These clips are followed by Hilton’s video blog, in black and white, where he looks like a ranting mad man. The video clips alone show how Fox tried to make Prejean look like a martyr at the hands of evil Perez Hilton for “standing by her beliefs.”

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/22201355/carrie-prejean-s-new-cause.htm#q=same-sex+marriage

The other clip I found was on “America’s News Room.” At first they attempted to poke fun at Prejean by comparing her answer to Miss Teen South Carolina’s pageant answer regarding school children and maps that we all remember from a couple years ago. The story continues by complementing the sweet “Christian girl” Prejean is and how she was mistreated by Hilton. They close by saying that although Hilton had the right to give Miss California whatever score he deemed fit, he cost the “sure winner” the crown. The closing words were actually “Poor Miss California.”

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/22122515/asked-and-answered.htm#q=same-sex+marriage


Here's Steven Colbert's take on the situation.
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Yahweh or No Way - Father Cutie & Miss California
http://www.colbertnation.com/
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorMichael Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment